December is officially here! That means warm and cozy oatmeal bowls over in this household.
I’m always trying to figure out ways to increase my vegetable intake and this recipe is the perfect way to sneak a vegetable into your morning routine.
And who doesn’t love zucchini bread? This healthy, date-sweetened, vegan and gluten-free oatmeal bowl is the perfect winter morning meal without all the fuss of baking actual zucchini bread. The cinnamon and vanilla accents make it so decadent and definitely kid friendly. I topped it off with hemp hearts and walnuts for added protein and chia seeds for heart healthy fats and fiber.
This recipe has it all: plant-based protein, complex carbs, fiber, healthy fats and a vegetable! Nothing processed and no added sugars. I don’t know if there is a perfect breakfast out there but this one has got to come pretty close. Enjoy!Print
Who doesn’t love zucchini bread? And for breakfast, what a treat! This healthy, date-sweetened, vegan and gluten-free oatmeal bowl is the perfect winter morning meal without all the fuss of baking actual zucchini bread. And it is a great way to get a vegetable in your morning routine.
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/2 cup quick cooking gluten free oats
- pinch of salt
- 8 dates, diced
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Raw walnut pieces (or pecans)
- Hemp hearts
- Chia seeds
- Chopped dates
- In a medium pot, bring almond milk to a rolling boil on high heat.
- Add oats and salt and reduce heat to medium stirring frequently.
- While oats cook, place dates in food processor until minced. Then add the zucchini in food processor and pulse until fully grated. Alternatively, you can hand grate the zucchini using a cheese grater. Add the minced dates and grated zucchini to the oatmeal pot and stir. Stir in the vanilla and cinnamon.
- Once the milk is fully absorbed (about 10 minutes of cooking time max), pour into two bowls and top with walnuts, hemp hearts, chia seeds and/or more dates.
- Category: Breakfast