This raw, vegan and gluten-free side salad is full of veggies. It is fresh and crispy and dressed with a sweet and tangy dressing that is creamy but mayo-free. Black beans provide plant-based protein making this side dish an entree as well.
- 1 jicama, peeled and julienned
- 3 spring onions, diced
- 1 can black beans, drained, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 red bell pepper, diced or julienned
- 3 tablespoons tahini (make sure it is runny and not stiff/hardened)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon agave
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin (or more to taste)
- 1 clove garlic
- In a large mixing bowl combine jicama, spring onions, black beans and red bell pepper. Stir and set aside.
- Prepare the dressing: In a mini food processor add tahini, olive oil, water, agave, lime juice, salt, cumin and garlic and process until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the dressing into the large mixing bowl and toss until jicama salad is evenly and well coated. Chill the jicama salad in the refrigerator for 15 minutes and then serve immediately. Alternatively, you can store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. When I tested this recipe I served it a full day after I prepared it (already dressed) and it was still fresh and crispy. You can try for longer but I cannot guarantee that it will not get soggy.
- Category: Salad