I have officially jumped on the smoothie bowl bandwagon! And I’m loving it! It really is fun to decorate the smoothie bowl with your favorite boosters and healthy garnishes… It definitely makes for a heartier and more satisfying smoothie by adding a bit of crunch and some different textures to each spoonful. We all eat with our eyes so have fun garnishing your bowl with your favorite toppings.
This smoothie is more than just your standard “blended fruit and ice in a cup” recipe… it combines tart berries with creamy almond milk and almond butter. It boasts protein (without protein powder) and healthy fats from the hemp seeds and almonds. And, it provides even more healthy fats (and fiber) from the flaxseed. The result is sweet, thick, satisfying and creamy without that chalky aftertaste that often accompanies protein-powder-based smoothies.
This recipe incorporates almond milk, almond butter and whole almonds. In any form — milk, butter or whole — almonds provide a combination of fiber, protein and fat that provides satiety, making them ideal for weight management. Just remember to pay attention to portion size, because they’re calorie-dense. Almonds are an excellent source of Vitamin E and manganese and a good source of magnesium, copper, phosphorus and fiber. They also contain calcium, folate and potassium.
So toss your straws, grab a spoon (and some creativity) and get started with your healthy smoothie bowl.Print
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries or blackberries
- 1 cup unsweetened, almond milk
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- Garnishes for smoothie bowl: handful of raw almonds, 1 tablespoon hemp seeds, 1-2 fresh strawberries (sliced), 1/2 banana (sliced)
- Add frozen berries, milk, almond butter, hemp seeds and flaxseed to blender. Puree until smooth adding more milk to thin out the smoothie as needed. I prefer a thicker smoothie so I tend to use less milk.
- Pour smoothie into a cereal bowl and garnish with raw almonds, hemp seeds and fresh strawberry and banana slices. Enjoy with a spoon.
- Category: smoothie
- Cuisine: breakfast