Green cabbage takes centerstage in this addictive dish. It is crispy and flavorful on the outside and tender and slightly sweet on the inside. I like to drench it in my Green Tahini Sauce for even more flavor. Cabbage never tasted so good!
- 1 small head green cabbage
- extra virgin olive oil
- Optional: Green Tahini Sauce for drizzling on top
- Preheat oven to 400 degree F. Use the convection mode if you have it. Coat a 10-inch or larger cast iron skillet with extra virgin olive oil.
- Next, prepare the cabbage. Wash and dry, remove just the outer layer of leaves (“wrapper leaves”) and slightly trim the stem leaving the core intact. Cut into quarter wedges lengthwise.
- Place the cabbage in the skillet and coat generously with olive oil on all outer sides using a brush. Sprinkle on all sides with salt and pepper. I use a generous amount of oil and salt. I go a bit lighter on the pepper.
- Cover the skillet with aluminum foil and cook covered for 40 minutes. Remove the skillet from the oven, remove the cover and using tongs gently flip each cabbage quarter onto a different side. Roast uncovered for 15 minutes. Remove the skillet from the oven again and use tongs to rotate each quarter of cabbage again (so that all three sides have a chance to be face down in the skillet which allows them to brown evenly). Roast uncovered for another 10-15 minutes watching closely at the end to avoid any burnt spots.
- Check for doneness by sliding a knife into the thickest part of the cabbage near the core. It should slide in and out effortlessly. If it does not return to the oven for another 10 minutes. Cooking time will vary based on your oven and the size of your cabbage. You do not want any part of the cabbage to be crunchy. It should be soft and tender throughout.
- Category: Side Dish