These healthy snack bars are the perfect frozen treat. No oven required! They are vegan, gluten-free, nut-free and refined sugar-free. They also contain hidden greens for added nutrients. The crust is perfectly sweetened with dates and the chocolate silky filling is sweetened with maple syrup. Together the layers combine to make an incredibly satisfying and nutritious snack/dessert!
- Crust (bottom and top layers):
- 1½ cups raw, unsalted sunflower seeds*
- 1½ cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 12 dates, pitted
- ½ cup avocado oil or melted vegan butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Chocolate Filling (middle layer):
- 1/4 cup cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup Barlean’s Greens Powder, Chocolate Silk Flavor (or substitute more cacao or cocoa powder)
- ¼ cup vegan butter, melted
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- Prepare the crust: Pulse all ingredients for the crust in a food processor until well combined. Place half the crust mixture into an 8×4 loaf pan lined with parchment paper or wax paper. Set aside the other half of the crust mixture for the topping.
- Prepare the chocolate filling: Whisk the chocolate filling ingredients in a small mixing bowl until smooth and no clumps remain. Pour over crust in loaf pan and use a mini spatula to lightly spread the chocolate filling out evenly.
- Place remaining crust mixture on top and press gently to get it to stay put in the chocolate mixture.
- Place the loaf pan in the freezer and chill for 3-4 hours. Cut into bars and serve! Best enjoyed immediately out of the freezer. The bars will not hold their shape well if left out for longer than ten minutes.
* For better results (less crumbly bars), soak the sunflower seeds ahead of time in boiling water for 90 minutes.
- Category: Snack