These Perfectly Roasted Sweet Potatoes are a delicious and easy side dish made extra special with the right method and seasonings. My simple recipe produces roasted sweet potato cubes that are ultra-crispy and golden brown on the outside and seasoned to perfection for amazing flavor and texture in every bite.
- 1 extra large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes*
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (olive oil will cause it to burn) – you do not need extra virgin avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder (also known as arrowroot starch)
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (for after roasting)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place cubed sweet potatoes on a bare half-sheet rimmed baking sheet and toss with arrowroot powder, avocado oil and all seasonings except for the salt. Toss using two spoons to fully coat the sweet potato cubes. Spread the potatoes out in an even layer so they are not touching. Do not overcrowd the pan or they will steam and get mushy. If they are touching then use a second pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes tossing gently using two spoons at the 15 minute mark. Watch closely at the end to avoid burning.
- Remove from oven, add salt, toss and spread out to cool on the baking sheet. They will continue to crisp up while they start to cool. Enjoy while warm after about 10 minutes of cooling.
- Reheat in the oven (not the microwave or they will get mushy).
*My sweet potato was 2 pounds and a little over 5 cups when chopped into 1/2-inch cubes. I used two baking sheets. If you cannot find an extra large sweet potato then try using two medium sweet potatoes and go by weight and/or volume.
- You can leave the skin on the sweet potatoes for more nutrients.
- I love to serve these with my homemade vegan honey mustard sauce. I also love to make them as part of my weekly meal prep and serve them with quinoa and crispy chickpeas in veggie bowls. I also use them in these creamy black bean and roasted sweet potato tostadas.
- Sometimes after tossing the sweet potatoes in their seasonings and arranging in a single layer I spray lightly with avocado oil spray for an extra coat to help get them perfectly crispy. This is not required but definitely adds to the best final result.
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven Roasted
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: perfectly roasted sweet potatoes