These Perfectly Roasted Sweet Potatoes are a delicious and easy side dish made extra special with the right method and seasonings. My simple recipe produces roasted sweet potato cubes that are ultra-crispy and golden brown on the outside and seasoned to perfection for amazing flavor and texture in every bite.
I make this Perfectly Roasted Sweet Potato recipe all the time as a weeknight dinner side dish or for Sunday night weekly meal prep. This is a basic/staple recipe but it is helpful to have and get it right so you don’t end up with soggy sweet potatoes or burn them. Roasting sweet potatoes brings out their natural sweetness and creates a caramelization that is just so good. They go with just about everything and they are incredibly addictive and satisfying.
Ingredients for Perfectly Roasted Sweet Potatoes
My three kids absolutely love roasted sweet potatoes and devour them quickly whenever I serve (which is most nights lately). The good news is I almost always have the ingredients on hand to make it for them.
To make this vegan and gluten-free side dish you will need:
- Sweet potato
- Avocado oil – you don’t need extra virgin here
- Arrowroot powder (to help it crisp up)
- Seasonings: onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper
Pretty straight forward and simple. These perfectly roasted sweet potatoes will taste fantastic all on their own, but if you really want to level-up the flavor, go ahead and serve with this homemade vegan honey mustard sauce. They also pair well with hummus, tahini, sesame seeds, hemp seeds or quinoa.
How to Make the Crispiest Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Cut your potatoes into small and even cubes. I like 1/2 inch cubes so they roast evenly and get crispy all around.
- Use a high oven temperature. My trick for the crispiest roasted sweet potatoes is to bake using high heat in the oven. Set your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit for best results. You can even use your convection function if you have it.
- Use arrowroot starch. The starch helps them to crisp up similar to how corn starch works. Toss them well in the arrowro