These Perfectly Roasted Sweet Potatoes are a delicious and easy side dish made extra special with the right method and seasonings. My simple recipe produces roasted sweet potato cubes that are ultra-crispy and golden brown on the outside and seasoned to perfection for amazing flavor and texture in every bite.
I make this Perfectly Roasted Sweet Potato recipe all the time as a weeknight dinner side dish or for Sunday night weekly meal prep. This is a basic/staple recipe but it is helpful to have and get it right so you don’t end up with soggy sweet potatoes or burn them. Roasting sweet potatoes brings out their natural sweetness and creates a caramelization that is just so good. They go with just about everything and they are incredibly addictive and satisfying.
Ingredients for Perfectly Roasted Sweet Potatoes
My three kids absolutely love roasted sweet potatoes and devour them quickly whenever I serve (which is most nights lately). The good news is I almost always have the ingredients on hand to make it for them.
To make this vegan and gluten-free side dish you will need:
- Sweet potato
- Avocado oil – you don’t need extra virgin here
- Arrowroot powder (to help it crisp up)
- Seasonings: onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper
Pretty straight forward and simple. These perfectly roasted sweet potatoes will taste fantastic all on their own, but if you really want to level-up the flavor, go ahead and serve with this homemade vegan honey mustard sauce. They also pair well with hummus, tahini, sesame seeds, hemp seeds or quinoa.
How to Make the Crispiest Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Cut your potatoes into small and even cubes. I like 1/2 inch cubes so they roast evenly and get crispy all around.
- Use a high oven temperature. My trick for the crispiest roasted sweet potatoes is to bake using high heat in the oven. Set your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit for best results. You can even use your convection function if you have it.
- Use arrowroot starch. The starch helps them to crisp up similar to how corn starch works. Toss them well in the arrowroot starch so they are evenly coated before you add the oil.
- Use avocado oil. Using oil is essential for that ultra crispy and flavorful result. For best results use avocado oil which has a high smoke point and neutral taste. Olive oil will also work in a pinch.
- Cook directly on the baking sheet. Even though parchment paper makes clean-up easier, having the sweet potatoes roast against the actual baking sheet will ensure they are extra crispy. It is worth the clean-up, trust me!
- Space them out. Use a large rimmed baking sheet and make sure it is not overcrowded or the sweet potatoes will steam instead of roast. They should be in one single layer. Use two pans if needed.
- Toss gently while roasting. These oven roasted sweet potatoes need to be tossed at the 15 minutes mark to ensure an even bake and caramelization. Pay attention to the color and tenderness of the sweet potatoes when tossing them to check if they’re done. The other benefit to tossing throughout the cooking process is that when you open the door it provides an opportunity for the steam to escape from the oven that has built up during the cooking process. Final cooking time will vary based on the size of your cubes which is why watching closely at the end is so important.
- Salt AFTER they are done cooking. Salt draws out the moisture from the sweet potatoes so you want to salt at the end once they are finished roasting. You can add other seasonings prior to cooking (such as onion powder, black pepper or garlic powder).
- Allow them to rest before enjoying. Allow them to rest at room temperature for 10 minutes before enjoying. They will crisp up as they cool. But don’t ignore them for too long or they will get cold. They are crispiest when enjoyed warm straight off the pan soon after they come out of the oven. After being stored in the refrigerator they will start to get slightly soggy. If you do reheat them, use the oven and not the microwave.
What are the health benefits of sweet potatoes?
Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite vegetables to incorporate into recipes whenever possible. Their vibrant orange color lets you know you are getting all that immune-boosting vitamin A (also helpful for vision and bone health). They also offer dietary fiber and potassium and are high in vitamin C. They are convenient and versatile and somehow serve as both a comfort food and health food all at once.
Compared to russet potatoes, sweet potatoes have similar calorie content but offer more fiber. Plus, one medium sweet potato offers almost 700% of your daily recommend intake of vitamin A, while russets offer none. Sweet potatoes offer almost double the amount of vitamin C as compared to russets. (Source)
Looking for more delicious vegan and gluten-free sweet potato dishes?
Here are some more great sweet potato recipe ideas that are all dairy-free, egg-free, gluten-free, soy-free and peanut-free.
- Creamy Black Bean and Roasted Sweet Potato Tostadas
- 10 Tips for Actually Crispy Oven-Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers
- Sweet Potato Pie Smoothie Bowl
- Spiralized Sweet Potato Latkes (Vegan + Gluten-Free + Nut-Free)
- Instant Pot Sweet Potato Casserole with Crumble Topping (nut-free)
- Sesame-Cilantro Roasted Sweet Potatoes Drizzled with Creamy Tahini Sauce
- Instant Pot Whipped Sweet Potatoes
- Easy Vegan Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowls
Now, let’s get to making these amazing Perfectly Roasted Sweet Potatoes!Print