This No-Boil Creamy Vegan Butternut Squash Baked Orzo is loaded with gluten-free orzo, sweet and nutty butternut squash, and vegan cream mixed in for a dinner that’s filling, flavorful, and has everyone asking for seconds. It is a quick prep recipe with very little hands on time.
- 2 cups diced butternut squash (about 1/3 a medium butternut squash)*
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 8 ounces dry, uncooked orzo, gluten-free if desired (I love Andean quinoa orzo)
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt (or more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (or more to taste)
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1 batch homemade Vegan Cashew Cream (or for nut-free substitute 1 cup Sunflower Seed Cream Sauce)
- 1–2 handfuls arugula or fresh baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 caramelized onion, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup diced chives and/or fresh sage
- optional: pomegranate seeds for a festive garnish (or unsweetened dried cranberries)
- optional: 1 batch Homemade Vegan Mozzarella Cheese (or sub store-bought vegan shredded mozzarella cheese)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a 12-inch oven-safe skillet with olive oil.
- Add diced butternut squash, dry orzo, diced red onion, minced garlic, salt and pepper to the skillet. Pour the water overtop and stir well to combine. Cover tightly in both directions with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and remove the foil. Add the cashew cream (or sunflower seed cream if nut-free) and stir well to combine.
- Stir in the chopped baby arugula or baby spinach if using. The greens will wilt from the heat of the dish.
- Top with chopped caramelized onions and chives and/or sage. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Serve immediately while hot. Garnish with pomegranate seeds if desired.
- Alternatively, cover the dish with vegan mozzarella cheese and bake/broil for 5-10 minutes until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days. Reheat in the oven for best results. Cover and add 1/4 cup water while reheating to help soften the orzo.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 40
- Category: Entree
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: one-pot no-boil creamy vegan butternut squash orzo