These adorable mini desserts are gluten-free, nut-free and vegan (egg-free and dairy-free). You can make this recipe in just ten minutes with nine simple ingredients. It is full of pumpkin pie flavor and the filling has a creamy texture that is irresistible. Make this one ahead of time for a stress free Thanksgiving.
- For the crust
- 1 box of BUCKS Natural Cookies: Sugar Cookie Buckwheat Cookies
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened sunflower seed butter
- 5 Medjool dates, pitted*
- For the Filling
- 1 cup raw, unsalted sunflower seeds, presoaked**
- 1 cup homemade pumpkin puree (or substitute canned)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- In a food processor, process the cookies until finely ground. Add the sunflower seed butter and dates and process again until the mixture forms into a dough like consistency. You should be able to pinch the mixture between two fingers and it should easily hold together. If not, add another date or another tablespoon of sunflower seed butter. Add this mixture to a non-stick muffin tin. You may want to cut tiny strips from parchment paper and criss-cross them in each muffin cavity to make lifting the pies easy when frozen. For each flap, I leave a little parchment paper sticking out of the muffin cavity.
- In a blender, add soaked and drained sunflower seeds, pumpkin puree, maple syrup, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla and salt. Blend until smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Spoon or pour the mixture into each muffin cavity on top of the cookie crust. Fill the muffins to the top and smooth out with the back of a spoon or a mini spatula.
- Place muffin tin in freezer for 8 hours or overnight. You want them to be frozen solid.
- Just before serving, remove from freezer for a couple minutes, lift each from the muffin cavity and garnish each mini pie with a dollop of coconut whipped cream, pomegranate seeds, raw pepitas and/or ground cinnamon if desired. They are also delicious plain. This recipe makes exactly 12 mini pumpkin pies. Do not leave them out of the freezer for too long or the filling will get mushy.
* For the dates, make sure they are soft. If they have hardened you can rehydrate them by soaking them in boiling water for an hour before using. Drain and dry before using in the recipe.
** Soak the sunflower seeds in water for eight hours or overnight. You can try a quick soak with boiling water for one hour if you are in a rush although I have not tested this. Before using in the recipe, drain and rinse.
- Prep Time: 9 mins
- Category: Dessert