These Mushroom-Walnut Tacos with Mango Avocado Salsa are made with a homemade plant-based taco meat that is so similar to the real deal in terms of texture, smell, taste and even how it looks. The vegan taco meat is stuffed in gluten-free tortillas and then topped with a refreshing and slightly sweet mango avocado salsa! These tacos are perfect for a quick weeknight meal and great to feed a crowd too!
For the vegan taco meat*
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds mushrooms, stems removed, quartered
- 2 cups raw unsalted walnuts
- 4 teaspoons ground chili powder
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
For the mango avocado salsa**
- 1 large mango, diced (1.5 cups diced)
- 1 large avocado, pitted and skin removed, diced
- 1/2 large red onion, finely diced (1 cup diced)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, large stems removed and leaves chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and stem removed, finely diced (optional for heat)
- 1 large juicy lime, juiced
- 3/4 teaspoon fine salt
For the tortilla wrap
- 1 package of BFree Kids Sweet Wraps (6 mini tortillas)
- To make the vegan taco meat: Heat oil in a 10-inch non-stick skillet. In a food processor pulse the mushrooms in two batches until finely chopped. No large mushrooms chunks should remain. Place the chopped mushrooms in the heated skillet. Pulse the walnuts in the food processor until finely chopped. No large chunks should remain. Add the chopped walnuts to the skillet. Add all the seasonings (chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper) and stir well. Stir regularly and cook for 20 minutes. Keep hot and set aside for taco assembly.
- For the mango avocado salsa: In a medium sized mixing bowl stir to combine the mango, avocado, red onions cilantro, jalapeno (if using), lime juice and salt. Set aside for taco assembly.
- To assemble the tacos: Place each wrap on a plate and add 2 large spoonfuls of the hot vegan taco meat. Add two large spoonfuls of the cold mango avocado salsa on top of the vegan taco meat. Wrap it up and enjoy immediately. Store any leftovers separately. The mango avocado salsa is best when fresh.
*The seasonings in the taco meat are pretty heavy. I like it super spicy. If you are serving it to people who do not like super spicy food then start with less (try half), taste and add more at the end.
*Chill mango avocado salsa ingredients in advance so it is cold when serving.
- Category: Entree
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Vegan Tacos Mushroom-Walnut Taco Meat