These Lemon Coconut Energy Bites are filled with plant-based protein and bright, energizing flavor for a totally refreshing snack!
- 2 cups raw unsalted cashews (do not soak)
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (not coconut flakes)
- 1 1/4 cup pitted Medjool dates (about 10 dates)
- 1 tablespoon packed lemon zest (from 3 large lemons)
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- optional garnish for rolling: 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut + 2 lemons zested
- Line a small baking sheet or other flat surface with parchment paper or wax paper. Set aside.
- Add cashews and coconut to a completely dry food processor fitted with the "S" blade. Process until crumbly.
- Add the dates, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla and salt and process again until dates have been fully incorporated and the mixture sticks when you pinch it between your fingers. You should be able to easily form the mixture into balls. If not, continue to process until you can (or try adding more dates). Be careful not to over-process though - you don't want it to become mush. You still want it to have a crumbly texture.
- Use a tablespoon to scoop out one tablespoon of the mixture at a time. Roll into balls between your hands and set on the parchment-lined baking sheet (or other flat surface) .
- Once all 24 energy bites have been made you may garnish them with the lemon zest/coconut coating. To do this, place 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut and the zest of 2 large lemons in a wide shallow bowl. Gently roll each ball in the mixture until fully coated. Place each energy bite on the parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet in your freezer. You can enjoy immediately at room temperature but I prefer to eat them when they have hardened up a bit in the freezer.
- Store energy bites in an airtight container in your freezer for up to two months.
- Prep Time: 10
- Category: Snack
- Method: Food Processor and Freezer
Keywords: lemon coconut energy bites