This cozy vegan and gluten-free dish will warm you up and leave you feeling satisfied. It is full of flavor and easy to make. Just throw everything into your Instant Pot and let it do all the work.
- 1/2 large white onion, chopped (or substitute 2 shallots)
- 3–4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked Arborio rice*
- 4–5 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced**
- 1 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper or more to taste
- 1 cup frozen peas (optional – if using, stir these in at the end – see instructions)
- Optional Flavor Enhancers (you can add some or all of these – I added all)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (adds a “cheesy” flavor and nutrients)
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon dark balsamic vinegar + more to drizzle as garnish if desired
- For garnish:
- Fresh Italian flat leaf parsley
- Fresh chives
- Vegan Parm (Optional Topping – simply whisk these three ingredients together)
- 3/4 cup almond flour (super fine from blanched whole almonds)
- 5 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Add onions and garlic to your Instant Pot. You can use the sauté feature here and sauté the onions and garlic for 2-3 minutes until fragrant if desired. If you do this, use 1 tablespoon olive oil for sautéing. Otherwise, add the broth, rice, mushrooms, salt and pepper and stir before placing the lid securely on your Instant Pot. Move the valve to sealed and set the cook time to Manual, High Pressure, 6 minutes.
- Once cooking is complete you can manually release the pressure valve or let it come to pressure on its own. If any liquid remains in the pot you can press the Saute button to cook off any additional liquid. Stir frequently to avoid the risotto sticking to the bottom of the pot. While the risotto is warm stir in the optional peas and optional flavor enhancers (nutritional yeast, vegan butter, white wine an/or dark balsamic vinegar). Taste and adjust flavor as needed. You may want to add more salt, pepper or any of the flavor enhancers here. Serve hot and garnish with fresh Italian flat leaf parsley and/or chopped fresh chives. You can also whisk together a quick and easy vegan parm recipe (almond flour, nutritional yeast and salt) and sprinkle this on top just before serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to one week.
*Arborio rice is an Italian short-grain variety of rice used to make risotto because it produces a very creamy texture when cooked.
** I used white button and cremini mushrooms. You can also use shiitake or portobello mushrooms.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American, Italian
Keywords: vegan mushroom risotto, vegan instant pot risotto, instant pot risotto