Instant Pot Vegan Mushroom Risotto
Risotto is an elegant, cozy, gourmet and labor intensive dish that requires constant attention on the stovetop. But in the Instant Pot it cooks in just six minutes! Unbelievable really. And it is still just as lovely, creamy and fragrant as the stovetop version. Comfort food made easy is the name of the game here.
This vegan mushroom risotto is loaded with flavor from the mushrooms, onions, fresh garlic and black pepper. You can get fancy with some optional flavor enhancers including dark balsamic vinegar, dry white wine, vegan butter and/or nutritional yeast (adds a "cheesy" flavor). I like to stir in protein-rich green peas at the end and garnish the dish with fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley and/or chives. You could also add fresh lemon to brighten everything.
With all of this flavor, the recipe for this vegan mushroom risotto is still so simple to prepare and will quickly become a family favorite I am sure!
This is the perfect warm recipe to get you through the remainder of winter. While we are just weeks away from spring I know we have more chilly evening weather ahead of us here on the east coast. And this dish is the perfect antidote. It can be enjoyed by the whole family and leave them feeling full and satisfied. Not only is it delicious and comforting but the Instant Pot makes it super simple to make too.
How to Make Instant Pot Vegan Mushroom Risotto
To prepare this recipe simply throw the onion, garlic, broth, rice, mushrooms, salt and pepper into your Instant Pot. Close the lid and cook on manual high pressure for six minutes. It will take a couple of minutes for the Instant Pot to "come to pressure" but once it does it cooks in six minutes. It will also take time for the Instant Pot to "come back to pressure" before you can open the lid. To speed this process up you can manually release the pressure valve if desired.
After it is finished cooking and the Instant Pot has come to pressure, stir in the optional peas and flavor enhancers and serve. It really couldn't be easier! This recipe makes 6-8 servings depending on if this is served as a side or an entree. It is incredibly filling and always gets amazing reviews from my guests.
Here are some more easy Instant Pot recipes to try out!
- Instant Pot Cauliflower and Chickpea Tikka Masala with Coconut Rice (vegan)
- Instant Pot Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Whipped Sweet Potatoes
- Instant Pot Sweet Potato Casserole with Crumble Topping (vegan + gluten-free + nut-free)
This recipe is vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, nut-free and refined sugar-free. If you give this a try, please snap a pic and tag #eatingbyelaine and @eatingbyelaine on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook so I can see your creations.Print
This cozy vegan and gluten-free dish will warm you up and leave you feeling satisfied. It is full of flavor and easy to make. Just throw everything into your Instant Pot and let it do all the work.
- ½ large white onion, chopped (or substitute 2 shallots)
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked Arborio rice*
- 4-5 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced**
- 1 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper or more to taste
- 1 cup frozen peas (optional - if using, stir these in at the end - see instructions)
- Optional Flavor Enhancers (you can add some or all of these - I added all)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast (adds a "cheesy" flavor and nutrients)
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon dark balsamic vinegar + more to drizzle as garnish if desired
- For garnish:
- Fresh Italian flat leaf parsley
- Fresh chives
- Vegan Parm (Optional Topping - simply whisk these three ingredients together)
- ¾ cup almond flour (super fine from blanched whole almonds)
- 5 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Add onions and garlic to your Instant Pot. You can use the sauté feature here and sauté the onions and garlic for 2-3 minutes until fragrant if desired. If you do this, use 1 tablespoon olive oil for sautéing. Otherwise, add the broth, rice, mushrooms, salt and pepper and stir before placing the lid securely on your Instant Pot. Move the valve to sealed and set the cook time to Manual, High Pressure, 6 minutes.
- Once cooking is complete you can manually release the pressure valve or let it come to pressure on its own. If any liquid remains in the pot you can press the Saute button to cook off any additional liquid. Stir frequently to avoid the risotto sticking to the bottom of the pot. While the risotto is warm stir in the optional peas and optional flavor enhancers (nutritional yeast, vegan butter, white wine an/or dark balsamic vinegar). Taste and adjust flavor as needed. You may want to add more salt, pepper or any of the flavor enhancers here. Serve hot and garnish with fresh Italian flat leaf parsley and/or chopped fresh chives. You can also whisk together a quick and easy vegan parm recipe (almond flour, nutritional yeast and salt) and sprinkle this on top just before serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to one week.
*Arborio rice is an Italian short-grain variety of rice used to make risotto because it produces a very creamy texture when cooked.
** I used white button and cremini mushrooms. You can also use shiitake or portobello mushrooms.
- Prep Time: 4 mins
- Cook Time: 6 mins
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American, Italian
Recipe inspired by Kathy's stove top version (from Healthy Happy Life).
Vegan Parm recipe adapted from Fooduzzi.