A simple 5-ingredient recipe for homemade vegan chocolate that is rich, creamy, decadent and best of all refined-sugar free. This homemade chocolate recipe is also gluten-free, grain-free, paleo-friendly, dairy-free, hydrogenated oil-free, soy-free and nut-free, making it perfect for all types of dietary needs. Homemade chocolate is not only easy and allergy-friendly, but it is also perfect for tweaking the flavors to your unique preferences.
- 3/4 cup finely chopped cocoa butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted (or unsweetened cacao powder*)
- 1/8 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon fine salt
- In a small pot add 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Place a medium-sized glass bowl overtop the pot so that the bottom of the glass bowl is about 1-inch above the top of the water. Add the cacao butter and coconut oil and use a mini spatula to stir until it is fully melted.
- Use oven mitts to carefully remove the mixing bowl from the pot. Place the mixing bowl on the counter and whisk in the maple syrup, sifted cocoa powder (or cacao powder), vanilla (if using) and salt. Whisk until well combined and there are no clumps.
- Taste and adjust the sweetness to your liking. Add more cacao or cocoa powder for a darker chocolate. Add any flavors you like.
- Use in any recipe that calls for melted chocolate. Or, place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and place in refrigerator for 20 minutes to set into chocolate bark.
- If making chocolate candy out of the chocolate, pour the chocolate into a large measuring cup with a spout (this just makes it easier to pour the chocolate into tiny molds). Use your mini spatula to ensure all the chocolate is transferred to the measuring cup. Now, pour the chocolate into silicone molds (again use your spatula to ensure all chocolate is transferred). I used this pumpkin mold and this kiss mold and it used up the exact amount made in this recipe. Place the silicone molds in your refrigerator and allow the chocolate to set for 20 minutes. Once fully hardened, pop the chocolate candy out of each mold and enjoy at room temperature.
If you are in a hurry you can place the chocolate in your freezer. If you do, be sure to remove from freezer a couple minutes before enjoying to allow it to come back to room temperature. You can enjoy them straight out of the freezer or refrigerator but I prefer them when they are at room temperature.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week or in the freezer for up to one month.
*I personally prefer the taste with unsweetened cocoa powder. Sifting it makes a huge difference in the texture. Although it takes a little extra time, I find it worth it in the end result.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: stovetop
Keywords: homemade vegan chocolate