You would never guess this creamy and decadent chocolate smoothie is actually good for you. It is full of healthy smoothie boosters such as hemp seeds, cacao nibs, chia seeds, spinach and avocado. Everyone can enjoy because it is dairy-free and allergy-friendly. And you can easily make the recipe nut-free if you use hemp milk, rice milk, oat milk or coconut milk. The smoothie is perfectly sweetened and yet refined sugar-free. This Healthy Creamy Chocolate Smoothie is a perfect treat to jump-start your morning and is super easy to make.
- 3–4 pitted Medjool dates
- 2–3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder or cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon cacao nibs
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons raw almond butter (or substitute oats for a nut free version)
- 2 tablespoons ripe avocado
- 1–2 handfuls of raw baby spinach
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla flavored plant-based milk (I use almond milk but you could also use hemp milk, oat milk, rice milk or coconut milk)
- 2–4 cups ice (depending on how thick and frosty you like your smoothies)
- Optional Toppings: 1 teaspoon hemp seeds and 1 teaspoon cacao nibs
- Soak the pitted dates for 30 minutes in boiled water. This step simply softens the dates and helps the blender blend them smooth. If you have a high speed blender, you can skip this soaking step as the machine is powerful enough on its own to blend the dates smooth.
- Place all ingredients in a high speed blender in the order they appear in the ingredient list (dates go in first and ice goes in last). Blend gradually from low to high speed until smooth and creamy.
- Taste and adjust sweetness if needed. You can add an extra date to make it sweeter if desired. You can also add a drop of vanilla extract or a pinch of salt if desired to bring out the flavors. If you prefer a frothier and thicker smoothie, add more ice. If you prefer more of a shake and a thinner consistency, add more plant milk.
- Pour the smoothie into 1-2 large glasses. Add your desired toppings and serve immediately.
- Category: Smoothie