Gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, soy-free, nut-free, refined-sugar free, oil-free, healthy and delicious? Seems impossible, right? Wrong!
And what’s more? An entire can of white beans is hidden in this recipe. And would you completely faint if I told you the frosting is made from avocado? (gasp)
It all seems so wrong for a cupcake. I know. But I wouldn’t post it on my blog if it wasn’t good. I promise.
I must assure you that I tested these out with a non-gluten-free/non-vegan crowd and the cupcakes passed the test. No one suspected they were healthy. They were shocked when I told them my secret healthy ingredients and that the cupcakes were actually full of protein, fiber and heart healthy fats.
Gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, soy-free and nut-free
- 1, 15 ounce can of white beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup gluten-free oats
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- ½ cup dairy-free milk
- ½ cup unsweetened cacao powder (or sub unsweetened cocoa powder)
- ¼ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- ¼ cup vegan butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground flaxseeds
- ⅛ teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1 cup vegan mini dark chocolate chips
- Chocolate Avocado Frosting
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder (or unsweetened cocoa powder)
- 1.5 tablespoons maple syrup or agave
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Garnish with raw cacao nibs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line one 12-cup standard muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Place all ingredients except the chocolate chips in a food processor and blend until silky smooth.
- Pour batter into medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Bake for 20 minutes until a tester inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from oven and allow to fully cool.
- While cooling, prepare the chocolate avocado frosting by placing all ingredients in a mini food processor and pureeing until silky smooth.
- Once cupcakes are fully cooled, remove from muffin tin and spread icing on top and sprinkle raw cacao nibs in center of each cupcake.
- Category: Dessert