Sometimes you gotta mix things up. When you a bored with chickpea-based hummus, try lentils instead. Lentils add a completely different flavor and richness to the dip. They are still super creamy when pureed (just like chickpeas). But they add an earthiness and a peppery note to the dip. Go for it – variety is the spice of life!
I really cannot say enough about lentils. Lentils are an inexpensive and healthful plant-based protein source; one serving (a quarter-cup raw) provides 13 grams of protein and is free of saturated fat and cholesterol. Plus, lentils are high in dietary fiber, which aids in digestion. They’re also a good source of potassium, folate and iron.
Give it a try and see what people say. My husband and I are finding we like it better than regular hummus. And if you are planning your Super Bowl menu this week, this would make an impressive dip… just sayin!
Easy, fast, healthy, vegan (dairy-free and egg-free), gluten-free, soy-free, nut-free and refined sugar free.
- 1.5 cups cooked green lentils
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- Add all ingredients to a mini food processor and blend until creamy and smooth. Scrap down the sides as needed. Add additional olive oil or water to thin out if needed.
- Serve cold or warm with freshly cut vegetables, chips or pita wedges. Also makes a great sandwich spread.
- Category: Appetizer