This autumn-inspired Garlic Pumpkin Hummus dip is always a crowd pleaser this time of year. Adding pumpkin to hummus boosts the overall nutrition, flavor and creaminess of this classic dip.
Hummus is already a nutritious snack option that can be served as a spread or dip with just about anything. To make this plant-based protein snack even healthier, I’m adding fall’s favorite vegetable, pumpkin. It works so well in this dish and adds a subtle orange hue that whispers, “I’m festive” when set out at a gathering. I topped the garlic pumpkin hummus with my Roasted Pumpkin Seeds which is the perfect sweet and salty compliment to this creamy and savory dip.
This time of year I’m always making homemade pumpkin puree for all my fall recipes so I always have extra to add to recipes like this.
All you need for pumpkin garlic hummus:
- garbanzo beans
- homemade pumpkin puree
- ice water
- maple syrup (just a touch – optional)
Everything goes into the food processor and out comes the most amazing seasonal hummus dip that is so creamy and delicious. I like to garnish it with flaky sea salt, good quality extra virgin olive oil and pumpkin seeds.
What should I serve with garlic pumpkin hummus?
This time of year, my favorite way to serve garlic pumpkin hummus is with warm crispy socca. So addictive! (Just omit the avocado mash that is shown in the recipe I linked).
You can also use it as a dip with pita, chips or crunchy raw vegetables. Or, try sliced apples for a truly fall-inspired appetizer.
Around the holidays I like to garnish the pumpkin hummus with pomegranate seeds to make it look more festive. The pumpkin flavor is not too strong so you really can use it how you would regular hummus.
Why add pumpkin to hummus?
In addition to lending a velvety creaminess, this bright orange gourd is packed with disease-fighting nutrients and overall health benefits. Pumpkins are packed with antioxidants known as carotenoids that can protect cells from free radical damage. They also offer fiber, calcium, iron, magnesium, copper, folate, potassium and vitamins A, C, E and K.
Plus, everyone loves adding pumpkin to everything this time of year. So why not hummus too?
More Vegan and Gluten-Free Pumpkin Recipes:
Both savory and sweet… and all refined sugar-free!
Now, Let’s Make This Creamy Garlic Pumpkin Hummus Happen!
I serve this recipe a lot this time of year and everyone seems to just love it. I cannot wait for you give this one a try! Now, let’s get cooking!Print
This festive Garlic Pumpkin Hummus dip is always a crowd pleaser this time of year. Adding pumpkin to hummus boosts the overall nutrition, flavor and creaminess of this classic dip.
- 1, 15 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup homemade pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/3 cup tahini (runny not hardened)
- 2 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 1.5 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- In all ingredients to food processor and process until smooth and creamy (about 1 minute).
- If the hummus is too thick drizzle in more ice water (1 tablespoon at a time). Taste and adjust as needed adding more tahini for richness, garlic for flavor, maple syrup for sweetness, and salt for saltiness. You may need to scrape down the sides and process another couple seconds at the end to ensure everything is well incorporated.
- Transfer the pumpkin hummus to a large flat bowl or deep plate. Using the back of a spoon make a “well” in the center. Garnish with good quality extra virgin olive oil, Sweet & Spicy Roasted Pumpkin Seed and flaky sea salt.
- Serve as a dip with crispy socca (no avocado mash), falafel, raw veggies, roasted veggies, chips, crackers or pita bread. Or, use as a spread on a sandwich. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days.
- I do not recommend making this recipe with canned pumpkin. Canned pumpkin has a stronger and more bitter flavor than homemade pumpkin puree.
- Prep and cook time does not include the time it takes to make the homemade pumpkin puree. I always seem to have some on hand this time of year but if you do not please see that recipe and allow extra time for that.
- Category: snack
- Method: Food Processor
Keywords: garlic pumpkin hummus, hummus