Perfectly spiced and naturally sweetened, Easy Sautéed Cinnamon Apples take a bit of time on the stovetop before they're ready to be enjoyed!
For the cinnamon sautéed apples
- 2 medium red sweet apple, peeled, cored and diced (measures ~ 2 1/2 cups once diced)
- 1/4 cup filtered water (or more as needed)
- 1/2 small lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons maple sugar (or sub coconut sugar)
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter (or sub coconut oil)
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of fine salt
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot starch
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
What to serve them with:
- Add apples, water, lemon juice, maple sugar, vegan butter, cinnamon and salt to a non-stick, non-toxic skillet or small pot and saute over medium heat for 15 minutes until water has evaporated and the apples are fork tender. Stir every couple of minutes throughout the cooking process. The cook time will depend on the thickness of your diced apples.
- Turn off the burner. Sprinkle arrowroot starch overtop and add vanilla extract. Stir well.
- Serve hot. Pairs well with oatmeal, waffles, pancakes, French toast and vanilla ice cream. Also pairs well with vegan yogurt OR creamy vegan paleo cinnamon vanilla fruit dip + homemade cinnamon granola. Also delicious with my homemade vegan caramel sauce
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days.
You can leave the skin on the apple for better nutrition but I prefer the texture of this recipe with it peeled.
You can thinly slice the apple rather than finely dice it but you will need to cook it for longer. When I do this I typically add a little more water and cover the skillet to speed up the process. You can dice the apples finely to cook quicker (this makes them easy to sprinkle overtop yogurt or ice cream).
Feel free to add a sprinkle of apple pie spice too if you have that on hand.
I often double this recipe and mix in a Granny Smith apple to balance the sweet red apple with the tart Granny Smith flavor. But you can do all red apples if you prefer.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Dessert or Snack
- Method: Stovetop
Keywords: easy sauteed apples