This creamy and colorful vegan Broccoli Soup is the pinnacle of comfort food! It’s flavored with simple spices and can be made in the blender for one of the quickest plant-based meals ever. It’s easy enough to serve as a side and delicious enough to be the main course! Kids will love this one too!
- 1.5 pounds steamed broccoli (florets and stems)*
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, diced (3 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups boiling hot water (or try my homemade No-Waste Veggie Broth)
- 1/4 cup raw soaked cashews or 2 tablespoons homemade cashew cream
- Garnish with a drizzle of homemade cashew cream or coconut milk and microgreens if desired
- Steam your broccoli (see my quick and easy Instant Pot method in the notes).
- While the broccoli steams, add olive oil, shallots, salt and pepper to a small skillet and cook on low to medium heat stirring often. Cook until shallots are soft and translucent, about five minutes. Add garlic and saute with the shallot another two minutes until fragrant. Transfer everything in the skillet over to a high-speed blender.
- To the blender add steamed broccoli, water and cashews or cashew cream, Cover and puree until smooth and creamy on the soup setting. Taste and add more salt or pepper if desired. Add more water for a thinner texture. Add more cashews or cashew cream for a creamier texture.
- Ladle into bowls while hot and garnish with a drizzle of homemade cashew cream or coconut milk.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to five days.
*For the creamiest texture and best flavor be sure to use the stem of the broccoli (as opposed to buying a bag of pre-cut broccoli florets). I also recommend slightly undercooking the broccoli since broccoli will continue to cook as it sits at room temperature. Overcooked broccoli has a bitter flavor.
To steam my broccoli I place it in my pressure cooker on the steamer basket with 1 cup of water for ZERO minutes on low pressure. As soon as it is finished coming to pressure/cooking, I immediately quick release the steam, remove the lid and remove the broccoli with tongs. Do not let the broccoli sit in the pressure cooker or it will overcook and become bitter.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Blender
Keywords: vegan broccoli soup