This is a raw and gluten-free spin on classic tabbouleh. In addition to cauliflower, it is loaded with tomatoes and an assortment of green veggies including kale, green pepper and cucumber. Its refreshing flavor comes from the fresh mint, fresh parsley, lemon juice, olive oil and salt/pepper. This dish is great for picnics, lunches, BBQs or side dishes.
So why swap cauliflower for the bulgher wheat?
I’m always looking for new and interesting ways to incorporate cauliflower into my diet since it has so many amazing health benefits:
- Cauliflower is naturally low in calories (just 15 calories per serving).
- Cauliflower is high in vitamin C, which is important for growth and repair of body tissues, helps heal cuts and wounds and keep teeth and gums healthy. Vitamin C also aids in iron absorption making this dish an excellent choice before an iron-packed meal.
- Cauliflower is also a good source of folate (folic acid), which helps the body form red blood cells and may reduce a woman’s risk of having a child with a brain or spinal cord defect. Women of childbearing age who may become pregnant should consume adequate folate from foods in addition to supplements.
- Plus, cauliflower offers up a good amount of dietary fiber which helps reduce cholesterol levels and may lower risk of heart disease. Fiber is also important for proper bowel function and helps reduce constipation and diverticulosis. Fiber-containing foods such as cauliflower help provide a feeling of fullness with fewer calories – making it great for weight management.
- When purchasing your cauliflower, look for a head that is white or creamy white, firm/compact and heavy for its size. Stay clear of speckling, brown patches or any discoloration.
- Proper storage of your cauliflower is key for flavor. You can keep it in the vegetable drawer of your fridge for 5-7 days and will want to store it with the stem-side up to prevent moisture from collecting on it.
Try more of my cauliflower recipes here.Print
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 medium tomato, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 cup chopped English or Persian cucumber
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 chopped spring onions
- 1.5 cups chopped curly kale
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup finely chopped mint
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, pressed (optional)
- Cut the cauliflower to remove the stem and then chop into pieces small enough to fit into your food processor.
- In a food processor, pulse the cauliflower until finely chopped into tiny grain-like pieces.
- Add to large mixing bowl with all other ingredients listed above.
- Mix well and taste. Add additional seasonings if needed (garlic, salt, pepper or even more lemon, mint or parsley)
- Serve immediately or store in airtight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
- Category: raw, gluten-free, vegam, side-dish