- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk)
- 1.5 cups oat flour (you can create oat flour by grinding oats into a fine flour in a mini food processor) – [use gluten-free oats if desired]
- 1 cup almond meal or almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup grade B maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
for the streusel:
- 1/4 cup rolled oats (gluten-free if desired)
- 1 tablespoons walnut pieces
- 1 tablespoon organic raw cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or avocado oil
- pinch of fine grain sea salt
- Preheat oven to 325F. Fill a regular muffin pan with muffin liners.
- In a small bowl, create the flax egg by combining the ground flaxseed meal with almond milk. Whisk briefly and set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients (oat flour, almond flour, baking powder and baking soda).
- Stir in the flax egg, almond milk, maple syrup, applesauce and vanilla until well combined. Then gently stir in the blueberries.
- Fill the muffin liners with the batter.
- Make the streusel: In a small bowl, combine the oats, walnuts, sugar, oil and salt. Spoon a small amount of this mixture on top of each muffin and gently press down into the batter.
- Bake 25 minutes. Let cool to room temperature before enjoying.
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Vegan