Feeling beat up this winter already? When I need to detox, feel energized and give my body a fresh start I turn to this cleansing smoothie. It is sweet, refreshing and creamy and doesn’t taste like you are downing raw vegetables. It is easily the most vibrant smoothie I have ever made. It’s bright pinkish-red color says it all in terms of the amount of good-for-you stuff you are getting in this drink.
Unlike juicing, consuming the entire beet allows you to benefit from all the fiber and nutrients. So I typically opt for pureeing vegetables and fruit in my blender over using my juicer. In this recipe I left the skin on the beets which gives the smoothie a slightly earthy taste. If you want to avoid that earthy taste than you can remove some or all of the skin.
Beets have a naturally sweet flavor and yet are low in calories. They are known to be an excellent source of folate. Folate helps the body form red blood cells and is recommended for women of childbearing age who may become pregnant for healthy fetal development. Beets also are a good source of potassium, vitamin C and fiber.
Beets are available all year long. Choose beets that are round, deep red, firm and smooth with non-wilted leaves. Smaller beets are more tender and easier to blend into smoothies.
Also in this smoothie are vitamin C-rich strawberries which are also high in folate. The tart strawberries help to balance out the sweet earthy flavor of the beets.
There are three recommended nutritional boosts for this smoothie to help increase the dietary fiber, plant-based protein, healthy fats, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. I included all of them in mine: hemp seeds, flaxseeds and goji berries. They are completely hidden in the smoothie so I figured the more the merrier.
This smoothie is 100% raw, vegan (dairy-free and egg-free), gluten-free, soy-free, nut-free and refined sugar-free. So it works for everyone.
Get ready to press the reset button and give your body some oomph today.
- 2 cups frozen strawberry
- 2 small raw red beets, with the skin on, chopped (about 1.5 cups chopped)
- 1 cup vanilla flavored non-dairy milk
- 2–4 pitted dates or 1-2 tablespoons of date paste (link to date paste recipe below recipe)
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Recommended nutritional boosts:
- 3 tablespoons hemp seeds (adds 10 grams of plant-based protein, fiber, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and heart healthy fats)
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed (adds fiber and heart healthy fats)
- 1 tablespoon goji berries (adds protein, antioxidants and over 20 vitamins and minerals)
- Add all ingredients to a high speed blender and puree from low to high until creamy and smooth. You may need to use your Vitamix tamper to help get the smoothie going. Add more milk to thin out if needed. Add more frozen strawberries to thicken the smoothie more.
- Pour into 2 glasses and enjoy immediately.