Life is always better with a warm, soft-baked cookie.
For me, soft-baked oatmeal raisin cookies are true comfort food. The warm cinnamon paired with vanilla (and those chewy raisins) have always been the perfect treat in my book. This version gets it sweetness from maple syrup making it refined sugar-free. The cookies are kept moist and oil-free with unsweetened applesauce.
Oats make up the majority of this recipe and are higher in protein and healthful fats (and lower in carbohydrates) than most other whole grains. They provide dietary fiber and help you feel fuller longer, which helps control your weight and can help lower blood pressure. Their soluble fiber also helps control blood sugar. So, you can enjoy your cookie with a side of health benefits too.
Of course this recipe is gluten-free, vegan and nut-free so everyone can enjoy. The recipe comes together quite easily. Just hand mix, form into cookies and bake for 10 minutes. The hardest part is waiting for them to cool when that lovely cinnamon smell starts to fill up your kitchen.Print
Finally a healthy cookie recipe that is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth without a drop of refined-sugar, oil, dairy, eggs or gluten. These moist cookies are full of cinnamon and vanilla flavor. I recommend enjoying with an ice cold glass of your favorite non-dairy milk.
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flaxseed + 6 tablespoons water)
- 3 cups old fashioned oats (gluten-free if desired)
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup softened vegan butter (I use soy-free Earth Balance butter)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup raisins
- Line one large baking sheet (~ 17in x 11in) with non-bleach parchment paper and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir together the flaxseed and water to make the flax egg. Set aside and allow the mixture to congeal
- In a mini food processor, pulse the oats in 1 cup batches for 10 seconds each. You do not want a fine oat flour so do not let the motor run for longer than 10 seconds. You want some small bits of oats for texture. Pour oats into a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the salt, baking soda and cinnamon.
- Stir in the flax egg, maple syrup, vegan butter, applesauce and vanilla extract. Note: to soften the butter microwave for 20 seconds.
- Gently fold in the raisins until well combined.
- Scoop 2 tablespoons of batter at a time leaving 1 inch of space around each mound of cookie dough. This should make approximately 12 large sized cookies.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Allow to cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes before gently moving the cookies over to a wire cookie rack. Allow to fully cool before enjoying. Store cookies in an airtight container for 2-3 days. Alternatively, you can store the cookies in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. Before enjoying from the refrigerator, microwave the cookie on a microwave safe plate for 15 seconds on high.
- Category: Dessert
*This post contains affiliate links. In the case that you would purchase something using the link I provided link, I receive a small commission from Amazon which helps support this blog.