I love incorporating vegetables into dishes in unexpected ways. Broccoli really doesn’t have any flavor and lends a perfect texture to these light and crispy falafel bites. I also snuck in some quinoa too for good measure. Why? Because everything is better with quinoa. Am I right? Adding 3 cups of broccoli and 1 cup of quinoa to the recipe just makes these falafel bites extra nutritious.
Instead of breadcrumbs I used Enlightened’s garlic and onion flavored fava bean crisps. When ground up they work wonderfully in place of breadcrumbs and provide great flavor and texture. Other than the garlic/onion crisps and salt/pepper, I found I didn’t need to play around with any other spices. This helps to keep the recipe super simple. And, you might remember from my Ultimate Vegan Kale Caesar Salad post that the fava bean crisps provide protein and fiber. I’m telling you, I’m packing a lot of nutrition into each and every bite here.
Flavor? Major CHECK!
All this without any gluten, dairy, eggs, nuts or soy!
I like to dip these warm little falafel bites into cold and creamy homemade hummus. Mmmmm.
They are so easy to make and my kids and husband go crazy over them. They are the perfect bite-sized snack but also work well as an entree. You can serve on top of salad, quinoa or brown rice. Or, stuff them into a gluten-free pita wrap for a more authentic take on falafel.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Steam broccoli until tender, either using a steamer basket or just in a small pan with a little water in the bottom. Drain and let cool until cool enough to handle.
- Once cool, add broccoli florets to a food processor and pulse until chopped into very small pieces, 10 – 15 pulses.
- Add all other ingredients to the food processor with the broccoli and pulse until a dough starts to form. Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired.
- Form dough into small balls (about the size of a golf ball) and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Lightly flatten each ball a bit.
- Bake on the center rack for 20 – 30 minutes, until the falafel is crispy and golden brown. Serve warm with creamy hummus.