Eating by Elaine is a site dedicated to healthy recipes authored by Elaine Gordon. Elaine has a Master of Public Health (MPH) degree and is a Master Certified Health Education Specialist (MCHES) through the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing (NCHEC). Elaine also works as the Director of Health Management Solutions for LiveHealthier, a company that provides corporate wellness programs and believes that every individual has the fundamental right to lead a happy, healthy and balanced life.
Elaine’s recipes, freelance writing, and editorial content has been featured in The Washington Post.
- Mango Sorbet Recipe: Simply good for you, and delicious (August 2012)
- Recipes for wellness: Peppers, stuffed with vegan flavor (October 2012) featuring quinoa-stuffed peppers
- Recipes for wellness: Pumpkin chicken-chili (October 2012) recipe details
- Guilt-free Thanksgiving side-dishes (November 2012) featuring Dairy-Free Butternut Squash Soup, Quinoa Stuffing and Roasted Root Vegetables
- Healthier holiday sweets (December 2012) featuring Spiced-Apple Cake
- Breakfast, the start of a healthy day (January 2013) featuring Banana Berry Nut Muffins with Chia Seeds
- 5 most-viewed online Post recipes for January (2013) #1 article is my Banana Berry Nut Muffin with Chia Seed recipe (gluten-free and vegan)
- Walnut-crusted salmon: Your heart will love it, and so will your tummy (February 2013) featuring Walnut-Crusted Salmon
“As a self-proclaimed foodie, I take cooking and eating seriously and love to experiment with fresh ingredients and fragrant herbs to make the most of each meal. I take comfort in knowing that what I am eating is improving my health. As such, my recipe concepts highlight the specific health benefits of the main ingredients. All health information presented in my recipes is researched from reputable sources including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), National Institute of Health (NIH), United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
My recipes are low in sodium, sugar, cholesterol and saturated fat. I use fresh, whole ingredients and stay away from all things artificial. Many of my recipes are vegan and free of the eight most common food allergens.”
Background and Philosophy
The concept of Eating by Elaine came from a lifetime of experimenting with recipes to make them healthier while conforming to specific dietary limitations due to food sensitivities and allergies. Eating healthy is a way of life for me and my goal is to teach people that healthy eating does not mean a complete diet overhaul. My philosophy is that small steps lead to big results. I believe anyone, any day can have a ‘healthy eating moment.’ Healthy eating should not have to be binary. By adding healthy moments to your day, the ability to eat healthy becomes more attainable and less restrictive, and therefore, easier to maintain.
I believe that helping people move away from the ‘all or nothing’ mentality is key to adopting individual healthy behaviors. I also believe that many people hide behind their perceived barriers to achieving their health goals. I often hear people say that they want to eat healthy, but they can’t because they have a sweet tooth, or food allergies, or simply a lack of time. The concept of healthy eating can often times be intimidating to people who aren’t familiar with some key healthy cooking concepts. Through simple ingredient switches and modifications to cooking methods, it is possible to create the same flavorful dishes, but with a healthy twist.
Eating by Elaine Healthy Eating Pillars
- There are alternative cooking methods that can help “makeover” any recipe.
- Incorporating more fruits, vegetables, lean protein and whole grains into recipes adds important nutrients and fiber to your diet.
- Simple ingredient swaps are the key to making your favorite dishes healthier.
- Herbs, spices and natural ingredients add distinctive and delightful flavors to make healthier versions of any dish.
The overall goal of my recipes is to make healthy eating approachable, simple and enjoyable so that anyone can lead a healthy, happy and balanced life.
This site is for information purposes only and is not intended for diagnosis, treatment or any other medical application. Questions should be directed to your personal physician.
All images and content on this site are property of Elaine Gordon and may not be used without permission.
I have not accepted any form of paid product review in any of my posts.