This quick and easy homemade frosting is perfectly spreadable and totally decadent. Unlike store-bought icing, it has zero artificial colors or flavors and zero high fructose corn syrup. It is 100% vegan and allergy-friendly too. I will be using this frosting recipe in an upcoming post for decorating holiday cut-out sugar cookies (vegan and gluten-free of course).
This frosting is smooth and creamy and will work on any cookie or cupcake. It has a lovely and subtle vanilla flavor. The frosting is best when fresh but can be stored in your refrigerator.
And have no fear, despite being homemade and vegan it holds up extremely well. Trust me, this is not complicated. You can definitely master this recipe. It is four ingredients and all you have to do is mix them together with a hand mixer.
If I’m going to use frosting, this is my go-to recipe. I don’t typically love to use refined-sugars in my cooking but the holidays call for a little splurging. Everything in moderation.
Before I go, I’ll leave you with an early look at the vegan, gluten-free sugar cookies that I’ll be posting soon. The vanilla frosting worked perfect on these little guys. Happy Holidays, friends!
- ¼ cup soy-free, vegan butter (softened not melted)
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup organic, all natural powdered sugar
- Splash of non-dairy milk (I used 1 teaspoon)
- Beat softened butter with a hand mixer on low speed until light and fluffy. Then add vanilla and beat again on low speed.
- Add powdered sugar ½ cup at a time and continue mixing until creamy. You may want to increase the speed slightly.
- Drizzle in a little non-dairy milk if clumpy. I used 1 teaspoon of unsweetened vanilla almond milk but any plant-based milk will work. Mix until smooth and creamy. Use immediately or see storage information below.