Not a morning person? No time to sit down and eat? Bored of cereal with milk? Try this nutrition-packed breakfast parfait that will make breakfast feel enjoyable again.
With simple ingredients and no cooking required, it is a super easy way to enjoy a fulfilling breakfast in a hurry. You can make the whole thing the night before (takes less than 10 minutes) and wake up to a thick and creamy decadent breakfast. Breakfast really doesn’t get more fun than this, I’m tellin ya! This parfait is completely raw, vegan, gluten-free and soy-free and trumps a ho-hum bowl of cereal any day.
Importance of Breakfast
If you are one of the millions of Americans who skip breakfast, you could be sabotaging your health goals. Breakfast kick-starts your metabolism and gives your body energy to think more clearly while preventing overeating later in the day. Plus, it provides an excellent opportunity to consume foods high in vitamins, minerals, disease-fighting antioxidants and heart-healthy fiber.
According to the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, breakfast helps with brain function, attention span, concentration and memory. It can also reduce irritability and tiredness. So, forget the caffeine and opt for a complete meal packed with the nutrients your body needs. It contains fiber, whole grains and lean protein. Plus, the chia seeds and almond milk offer calcium. And, for heart health, the chia seeds provide omega-3 and omega-6 essential fatty acids.
I hope you enjoy this as much as I do.
- 1 cup gluten-free oats
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or non-dairy milk of choice)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (helps thicken and adds calcium, healthy fats, fiber and protein)
- 1 tablespoon grade B maple syrup (or liquid sweetener of choice)
- 1 tablespoon your favorite nut or seed butter
- pinch of cinnamon (optional)
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- ½ cup fresh blackberries
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon raw agave or maple syrup
- 1 fresh peach, diced
- To prepare the oat pudding: place all oat pudding ingredients in blender and blend on low speed for 30 seconds. Pour mixture into a glass containers and let sit in refrigerator for 1-2 hours (or ideally overnight) to allow it to become thick and creamy.
- To prepare the berry chia jam: place all jam ingredients in a clean blender. Blend until smooth. Pour into a glass container and let sit in refrigerator for 2 hours (or ideally overnight for best results).
- To prepare the parfait: using a spoon and two glass cups or small bowls, layer the oat pudding with the berry chia jam and freshly diced peaches (skin on for maximum nutritional benefits). You may not need all the jam.
- No heating/cooking necessary.