This is a fantastic, mayo-free spin on chicken salad and makes for a healthy lunchtime option. White meat chicken is a great lean-protein option to give you energy.
The arugula “pesto” adds a mild peppery flavor and the end result is creamy and completely satisfying.
Add to a whole wheat pita with avocado and tomatoes or on top of arugula or spinach salad. Also great plain!
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 cup fresh basil
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 12 oz (3/4 lb) cooked white meat chicken
- 1 tsp lemon zest
Optional: You can also add ¼ cup raw chopped walnuts and/or ½ cup green grapes halfed.
- Put arugula and basil in mini food processor and pulse for 10 seconds
- Add olive oil, garlic, sea salt and pepper and pulse for 30 seconds
- Stir into a large bowl with chicken
- Zest with 1 tsp of lemon
- Serve chilled