A seasonal breakfast solution perfect for a cool fall morning! Make the night before for a super portable breakfast or morning snack.
Each cookie contains whole grains, heart-healthy walnuts, dried fruit and of course the nutritional powerhouse vegetable, pumpkin. This cookie has it all! Plus, it is gluten-free and completely vegan.
When you see canned pureed pumpkin in the grocery store think beyond the traditional pumpkin pie and explore more ways of adding this unique and healthy gourd into your diet.
Health Benefits of Pumpkins
Pumpkin puree makes these cookies extra moist and chewy. Plus, it happens to be packed with disease-fighting nutrients. Pumpkin is a tasty source of bone healthy calcium and the powerful antioxidant vitamin C, which helps block some of the damage caused by free radicals. It is also high in potassium, which is a mineral that regulates fluids and mineral balance throughout your body and helps maintain normal blood pressure. Potassium may also reduce your risk for bone loss. Furthermore, this bright orange vegetable is an excellent source of vitamin A from the carotenoids alpha- and beta-carotene, which may reduce your risk for certain cancers and heart disease. Vitamin A also fights off infections, protects against some of the degenerative aspects of aging and benefits your lungs, skin and eye health.
These cookies also contain extra heart-healthy fiber from the pumpkin, which aids in healthy digestion and helps keep you feeling fuller longer making it great for weight management.
Pumpkin really is a nutrition powerhouse and should be enjoyed in months other than October too!
Makes 24 cookies
- 1 cup whole grain flour (for a gluten-free version I use ½ cup almond flour and ½ cup brown rice flour)
- 1 cup old fashioned oats (gluten-free)
- ½ cup golden raisin
- ½ cup red raisins
- ½ cup raw walnut pieces
- Sprinkle of stevia if you want it extra sweeter
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup pumpkin puree from canned pumpkin
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk (or any type of milk)
- 2 tbsp agave syrup
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tbsp unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix all dry ingredients together
- Add wet ingredients and stir until fully incorporated
- Place on sprayed baking sheet
- Bake for 12-15 minutes