This unique twist on the classic mashed potatoes is much easier (and faster) to make since frozen lima beans cook quickly and don’t require any peeling. Plus, lima beans are packed with fiber, protein and important nutrients to keep you healthy. Their light green color is gorgeous paired with any entrée.
Lima beans are considered part of the starchy vegetable group. One serving (2/3 cup) contains:
- 5 grams of fiber (as opposed to 2 grams in one serving of potatoes with the skin)
- 6 grams of protein (as opposed to 2 grams of protein in one serving of potatoes).
One serving also contains
- 15% DV of vitamin C (which helps block some of the damage caused by free radicals)
- 8% DV of iron (essential in helping the body convert food to energy as well as resist infection)
- 4% DV of calcium (for bone health).
Heat up your menu with this nutritious recipe…
- 1 package of frozen baby lima beans
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dairy free butter spread
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Boil 1 cup of water
- Add lima beans and boil for 12 minutes
- Drain and place dry lima beans in food processor
- Add butter, olive oil, garlic cloves, sea salt, pepper
- Process until smooth and creamy