Living with food allergies means sometimes there are dishes you just have to give up. One of my favorites is chicken parmesan. Being allergic to dairy and gluten makes this dish impossible to recreate unless you are armed with the right products in your pantry.
So, you can imagine my excitement when I learned about a new product of allergy-friendly chips flavored with garlic and parmesan: Plentils. This light and flavorful lentil chip takes care of the parmesan flavor and the breadcrumb crunch all in one shot! No extra seasoning needed!
This simple recipe uses Plentils as a healthy and allergy-friendly “breadcrumb” coating on white meat chicken. Find out how I turned this chip into everyone’s favorite comfort food. My husband, who loves cheese, was shocked that there was no real cheese in this dish. Amazing – one dish both cheese lovers and dairy-free diners can all enjoy.
What I love about Plentils is that the main ingredient is the lentil, a nutrient rich legume that provides fiber, protein, iron and important vitamins and minerals all while being low in calories and fat.
- ½ bag of Garlic & Parmesan Plentils
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 2, 6-8 oz. chicken breasts, pounded until thin
- ¼ cup unsweetened, plain almond milk
- ½ cup fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Place 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil in wide pan and put on medium-high heat
- Spread a thin layer of marinara sauce on bottom of glass baking pan (about ½ cup); set aside
- Place ½ bag of Garlic & Parmesan Plentils into food processor and pulse for 30 seconds (should make about ¾ cups of “breadcrumbs”)
- Place the ground “breadcrumbs” onto a flat surface and set aside
- Pour almond milk in shallow, wide dish and set aside
- Dip the chicken into the almond milk so it is fully covered on both sides
- Dredge the chicken on both sides into the ”breadcrumb” mixture so both sides are fully coated
- Place chicken in wide pan with hot oil and brown on each side for 5 minutes
- Place chicken in glass baking pan on top of the marinara sauce
- Cover the top of the chicken with additional marinara sauce (about ½ cup)
- Sprinkle additional “breadcrumbs” on top of dish
- Place in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes
- Add fresh basil on top
Video shows steps 7-9 (coating the chicken in the “breadcrumbs” and placing in pan with oil to brown):
Pair the chicken with cooked spinach. You can even sauté extra Plentils “breadcrumbs” into the spinach while cooking it in 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil. This adds texture and wonderful flavor. Serve the chicken over the bed of spinach.
More About Plentils
Plentils are my new favorite wonder product by Enjoy Life Foods. For those of you who don’t know, Enjoy Life Foods is a company devoted to making delicious allergy friendly products that are free of gluten and the 8 most common food allergens that account for 90% of food allergic reactions in the United States.
Plus, they never use artificial ingredients. I have always been able to find their products at Whole Foods. For more information (and for some coupons) visit their website at http://www.enjoylifefoods.com/