I’m always looking for new ways to prepare quinoa. This southwest twist takes quinoa from basic to flavorfully fun and colorful. The addition of the black beans is great for added protein and fiber. Top with an avocado and extra lime juice just before serving for an extra wow factor.
- ½ cups dry quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 can black beans, rinsed, drained and dried
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- ½ small red onion, diced
- 1 champagne mango, not too ripe, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/8-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 lime, juiced
- 10 sprigs fresh cilantro, leaves gently torn (discard stems)
- Optional: Add chunks of avocado right before serving and squeeze extra lime juice on top. Sprinkle with more cilantro in center for a picture perfect dish.
- Cook quinoa in water until fully absorbed (approx. 20 minutes)
- Add ingredients in the order they appear above and stir to combine
- Serve warm or at room temperature