Health Benefits of Pistachios
Pistachios are one of the lowest fat, lowest calorie and highest fiber nuts.
Health Benefits of Quinoa
- Quinoa is a whole grain and considered a good source of fiber. Each serving has 5 grams of fiber.
- Quinoa is a complete protein with all eight essential amino acids – great for vegetarians and vegans! It has more protein than other grains.
- Quinoa is a good source of folate, magnesium, iron, phosphorous and many phytochemicals.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, diced
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups broth, reduced sodium
- 1 yellow and/or red bell pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup dry roasted and salted pistachio halves
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Heat oil in large pot then add shallots and quinoa
- Sauté for 5 minutes until quinoa is lightly toasted
- Add broth and bring to boil
- Add the yellow bell pepper, cranberries and pistachios
- Cook until liquid is fully absorbed (usually about 20 minutes)
- Season with garlic and black pepper